April 17, 2006

The Evinrude Is 'Putting' Again!

I tore the Evinrude down and started cleaning it up. After looking things over, I felt I could get the motor running again. I took out the piston that had burned (it wasn't as bad as I thought it was) and polished off the rough spots on the skirt. After some trial fitting, it looked like it might work. Everything was cleaned meticulously and then the powerhead was reassembled, using all-new gaskets, then the top assembly was put together just enough to do a compression check.

The readings were about 90-95 PSI for both bores, not great, but not bad either considering what the motor went through. The motor was then completely assembled and water tested (I had to run out to the store to buy a trash can to use as an improptu water tank). The motor cranked right up, hiccoughed a couple of times, then smoothed out. I let it run for about 1/2 an hour and even ran it in gear at high idle , forwards and backwards.

When I was ready to shut it down, I called Luann and Katrina to see the tidal wave I could create with the motor. I cranked it wide open with it in gear and half of the water in the trash can went everywhere in a heartbeat. Yep, that was fun. I feel more comfortable now, knowing I have at least some kind of a tested motor to try again next week in case the Sailmaster doesn't get here in time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home