May 13, 2006

Feeling A Little Crabby

While in Arizona for my mother's medical problems, I had talked to Uncle Frank and Kimberly (mentioned below) about the times we had gone fishing for blue crabs. I checked the tide charts and then asked Katrina if she wanted to go to one of our favorite spots that we hadn't been to in about 2 years to try our luck. I also talked to Chiu, a friend from work about it, and he said he would like to try it, so we agreed to meet there at 8:30, just before sunset.

The tides were right, but unfortunately the water temperature was too cold, so there weren't many of them out there. Katrina and I picked up nine of them, but threw one back because it was too small (we don't know how many Chui picked up, he had to leave early before we could say goodbye because he had to work on Saturday) . When we felt that was the best we could do, Katrina and I began cleaning out the canoe to put it back on the truck when she asked me a very good question. "What are we going to put the crabs in to take them home?"

Well, it seems I forgot to bring a bucket to put them in, so we grabbed the net I had used, dropped them into it then wrapped a large plastic trash bag around the whole thing. That worked just fine. When we got home, another problem struck. No container to put them in either. We ended up just dropping them directly from the net into the freezer. Hey! It was midnight and we were tired... Luann wasn't too pleased when she was greeted this morning by 8 frozen blue crabs that had free-ranged in the freezer, found a comfortable spot, then froze like that.

And they made a mess too. Guess who was volunteered for the cleanup...?
Well, it seemed like a good idea at midnight.

Don't they look cute snuggled up like that with the bag of frozen vegetables?
Nah, I didn't think so either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home