November 19, 2011

A Visit To Fargo, ND




I Recently took a trip out to Fargo, North Dakota for a training seminar and not only did I learn more about variable frequency drives, I learned a bit about the area too.
To start off, I saw this Stave Church on Google Earth when I looked around before leaving Florida, so I decided to take a closer look at it when I got there. More about this in a bit...
I flew through Minneapolis / St. Paul on my way to Fargo, but since I didn't have much time, I didn't bother my brother Jody about it.
As I sat contemplating my next flight, the sun glinting off of this moving walkway caught my attention. I mused about the marks people had made in the glass barriers as they scurried along, thinking only about catching their next flight. It's likely they didn't realize that they left something behind as an indication of their passing, something that glimmers in the sun, if only for a few minutes each day...

I eventually made it to the hotel, thanks to their courtesy bus. Since I won't have a rental car this time, any exploring I want to do will be to whatever is within walking distance. This is the view from my hotel room window and I know that there is a geocache in that little pine bush to the right of that traffic light. The problem is, that is a darn busy intersection.
 
So I walk down to the convention center area where the pine tree is, and there are just too many cars, so I decide to go looking for that Stave Church instead.
I had to walk across this bridge and decided to snap this picture because everything is dead with winter settling in. Back in Florida, the temps haven't even dipped below 75 yet.
Ah, I found it. Apparently, this is a replica of an existing church in Norway, and it's a darn good one too.
See what I mean? Can you imagine having built this to stand back and point at it and say; "See what I did!" Most impressive, indeed.
Here is another view frorm the opposite side. After this photo shoot, I read up about the Hjemkomst Center at my hotel room. Pretty interesting. I kinda wish I could have seen the viking ship inside, but I was a little late for that...
Ah-hah! I finally found a geocache in North Dakota! It may be the only one, but I got it!
 
This is a view of the weather outside as we were attending the training course. I tell you, I don't know what that white stuff is on the ground, because it's not something we see in Florida...
And now I'm back at my hotel room. Yep, there's nothing like a room with a great view like this one has...
I couldn't help but to take a couple of shots of the cloud formations we were flying over on the way back home. You know, I think the pilots have the best seat in the house when it comes to views like this...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home