December 3, 2006

A Little Catch-Up

It's been a busy week around here. For starters, I was in Houston, Texas presenting a medium voltage motor soft starter training seminar for Toshiba, then I was routed out to Ontario, California to check on a low voltage soft starter. The tough part was having to fly out on Thursday night to arrive in California by midnight (which is 3 AM Floida time). Then, for the return trip, I had to catch a plane at 12:45 AM (yep folks, that's 45 minutes after midnight) in order to get back to Tampa by noon. And believe me, no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to sleep on a plane.

And now, for the medical news...

For those that have known us a while, Luann has been gradually gaining weight over the years. I never gave her a hassle about it because she didn't present most of the typical indications that come with obesity, so I figured there had to be some kind of medical cause, I just couldn't think of what it could be. When she reached a point where she thought that perhaps she might be experiencing premature menopause, she went to see the doctor. After extensive testing, it turns out she has been dealing with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) , which throws the hormonal and insulin systems out of whack. Seems like she has had this for a long time. Well, she was put on meds to help stabilize her, when a couple of days later, she seemed to have a diabetic episode. I quickily ran out and bought a glucose meter and had her check her blood sugar, which turned out to be very low. After a glassful of Kool-Aid, she was doing much better. Since there were serious ramifications about this episode, I had her continue testing 6 times a day and keeping a little diary, which she later showed to the doctor. Due to the fact that her count was swinging between 60 and 290, the instant diagnosis was that she is type II diabetic. Thankfully, she isn't insulin dependent, but she is still having to give herself medicine injections twice a day. It's been a little tough adjusting to the new dietary requirements, but the treatment has really stabilized her and the weight is starting to come off.

As for myself, I have been sore and hurting for about a year, always feeling like the following morning after a heavy workout at the gym. I went through test after test, x-rays, and tons of different pain and muscle relaxer meds, and the doc just couldn't seem to figure out why I hurt all the time. Turns out, the issue looks to be something called Fibromyalgia, which my cousin Kim is suffering from. From what I've been reading up about it, it looks like I've got a bit of work to do in order to figure out how to deal with it, since it affects everybody differently. Oh well, just when things were getting a little boring around here (yeah, right!).

As for my position at work, I moved from Design Engineering into Proposals and Specials last January, where I worked on drawings and the documentation needed for product designs regarding special orders. Recently though, I have accepted a new position in Marketing, working on customer and in-house training for all product lines, developing product documentation, working as a technical writer on brochures and product manuals, etc... There's a ton of things to be done, so I hope I can keep up...

Regarding this weekend, since I got in late from the airport on Saturday, we didn't do all that much, short of some shopping at the mall (while Jaime was getting a haircut at Saks 5th Avenue) and then checking on a boat ramp to see if we could put the sailboat in the Hillsborough River near the house (Nope!). But today, I spent all day replacing the front-end suspension on the truck. This meant ball joints, upper and lower A-arm bushings, and tie rod ends. While I was working on the truck, Luann took the wheels over to the store and had new tires put on them. Unfortunately, I didn't finish the truck until well after dark, so my day was pretty much shot. Which is sad, after having snow in Houston and a windy cold snap in California, the weather was good enough to go sailing this weekend here in Florida...

Well, that's all the news for now, until next time, C-U.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home