January 9, 2008

Geocaching In Sioux Falls

Since I was in Sioux Falls, you know I just had to look for some geocaches in the area...

This one is actually what is known as an Earth-Cache, where you have to identify some geologic feature, have your picture taken with it and then post the picture. The task here was to identify a piece of pink quartzite that is harder than granite and is just a step below diamond in hardness. Since the Sioux Falls Park is loaded with pink quartzite, this was a simple task. I was able to score this one on the first day that I arrived.

On the third day I saw I had a couple of hours before I had to fly home, so I started out early in the morning to look for some caches before heading to the airport. It was 26 degrees when I got out to the parking lot and I could see there was frost on all of the windows of the rental car. The patterns looked kinda nice.

In my previous posting, I took a few pictures of some ducks and geese right next to a spot where a geocache is supposed to be. Unfortunately, every time I tried to look for the cache, there was a new transient hanging out under the bridge. I figured I would try to look for it one more time, but unfortunately, there was yet another new visitor sitting on the rocks and draining a bottle of his favorite brand of 'anti-freeze' (vodka, I think). The best I could do was take some really nice pictures of the resident water fowl and leave. "Missed it, by that much!"

Since I had no luck at the bridge by the hotel, I then drove a little further south along the Sioux River in order to look for a couple of caches located in a snow-bound park. This is the first real-live cache container I found in Sioux Falls. I was starting to think I was losing my touch. I guess you can understand why it is called, "Squirrel's Nest".

This is a really neat container. The cache owner even dropped a small super-ball into the larger neck of the container so that when you screw the lid back down, it acts as a seal to keep the weather out.

For the next cache, I had to cross over this train trestle converted into a footbridge.

What a scenic (and dry) trek over the river.

I finally made it over the river and to the cache that is near a canoe launch by the Sioux River. It was a good hide that is still available during the snowy season.

After this kind of success, I went back over to the Sioux Falls Park to see about the only 2 caches that are still active there.

This one is called 'Coins For Cache', I didn't find any coins in the container, so a left a pair of them behind. One coin we found in Minneapolis and the other we picked up on the way home from there (in Tennessee).

Now, this is a great hide. From this far away, the GPS receiver said "20 feet, that way!" Since nothing else was nearby, it just HAD to be in this pair of pine trees...

Bouyed by my recent successes, I decided to try and find one I couldn't find on the first day. It didn't take long to locate it now that my GPs unit decided to stop pointing everywhere but where the cache is. I have discovered that the GPS receiver hates the cold just as much as I do, and gets 'wonky' if it becomes too cold. I have learned to keep it under my armpit inside my jacket to keep it warm until I'm ready to use it, then it's a happy guy!

As I popped back out into civilization, I noticed that this area is a freight train switchyard, so I took a couple of pictures of the yard-mules moving some of the cars around the yard.

Yes, this is a train crossing for pedestrians. You don't get an arm coming down or bells ringing, you get the sound of a sickening 'Crunch!' when you foolishly step in front of an oncoming train, so it helps if you pay attention...

Well, one more picture and a wave to the falls as I walk back to the car. It was fun visiting these areas and thanks to our fellow geocachers hidng caches in places they would like for us to see and visit, I was able to photograph some really interesting and neat places and things. Thanks guys, but now it's time to get to the airport and head back home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home