December 30, 2007

We're Baaack!

We just rolled in last night at 11:30 PM. Let me tell you the story about the barrel-roll flip we were almost involved in on I-94 while going through a serious snow storm in Wisconsin. This one will be etched into our memories for a long time...

We were headed on our way eastbound when we noticed this guy driving a dark blue Mitsubishi Galant erratically in front of us. He kept driving into the built-up snow areas, then would swerve back into the safe areas for a while. Luann told me to stay away from him in case he made a mistake that might collect us. With this in mind, I decided to carefully pass him in order to keep him behind us. about 3 miles down the road, I could see that the traffic ahead of me had stopped, apparently for another on-road wipeout. When I tapped the brakes, the guy behind me in the Mitsubishi stomped hard on the brakes and started skidding to the left, so he yanked the steering wheel hard to the right. This, in effect, caused him to swerve off the road and down the steep shoulder to our right. When he slid off the shoulder, there was a bunch of snow, so he ended up rolling the the car side-to-side for several turns, until the car caught on the nose and the Mitsubishi flipped once, end-over-end.

We tried to stop the car so Luann could run back to see how the guy was doing, but by the time I got our car stopped, we must have been about a half mile down the road. I told Luann that since he wiped out while in the middle of a 'conga-line', there would be better equipped people able to help him if he needs assistance. This near-miss did nothing to put me at ease, and we continued counting the number of cars that had either spun out, crashed, or flipped over in the snow. We actually counted 31 such incidents until the snow thinned out to nothing. I'm just glad we made it home with no problem whatsoever.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home