July 29, 2006

Work Progress - Day 12

Wow, Saturday is here and the second unit seems to be coming along faster than the first. Of course, there is less fabrication needed on the second motor starter. The morning started off with dropping Tom off at the airport, then heading to the cement plant. When I got there, they had managed to stuff the box into place after cutting the corners of a box that was standing up about 2 inches from the floor and hammering it flat. That worked. I was told that jamming the new gray enclosure between the two green ones actually did involve a liberal application of grease on each side to get it to slide into place.

Unfortunately, they couldn't slide it all the way back because there are some bolts sticking out, preventing it from going any farther.

This is a close-up of the front of the control panel. They still need to provide me with a keyed emergency bypass switch so I can install it. I also need to install a red lamp above and centered between the meters.

This is a view of the back of the control panel. I'll be wiring the components up on Monday, whenever they finally pull the cables into the cabinet.

While the guys were pulling cables into the exciter unit's box, I cleaned up and installed this giant Ground Fault Current Transformer (GFCT) in the back section of the starter.

I used a piece of wood block as a spreader to help maintain the correct wire spacing.

This a view of the GFCT from the front of the cabinet. Geez, this thing is huge...

Next was the installation of the 300:5 CTs for the Multilin 469 motor protection relay. I used the existing mounts that were already in there. It's going to be a tight fit for the motor leads.

This a downward looking view of the CTs including the 250:5 one I had to add for the Multinlin SPM Synchronous Power Management Relay. (Yes Tom, it's in the right place this time and facing the right way too.)

After I was done with the CTs in the starter, I focused my attention on the wiring in the exciter unit. Of course, the marking tapes they put on the cables to identify the bundles are nothing like the markings last week. I had to generate another conduit schedule and wire list based upon the new colors.

This is the finished product, the only thing left for me to do in the exciter cabinet is to punch a hole in the door and mount a red lamp in it, like the one below that was done last weekend.

Well, it's about that time, gotta go find something for dinner, I have tomorrow off, so I'll get some laundry done (again) and work on the drawings so I can turn them in to Jesus when I finish up here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home