November 18, 2008

Work On The Cars This Past Weekend


This weekend, I decided to work on the Magnum to find out why the driver's side speaker cut out and discovered that the speaker frame was made of plastic, which had disintegrated and the big magnet fell off the back of it. I ended up having to trim the housing used to mount the round speaker to the door in order to put a 6x9 speaker there (it was all I had on the shelf). It came out ok, but the passenger side speaker will need to be replaced too. Other than the speaker issue, the Magnum is fine.



As for the van, I did some work on the electrical system, cleaning up some of the aftermarket wiring and also replaced the round, 6 1/2" rear speakers with some 6x9 speakers (again, it was the only size that I had on the shelf, but I'm running out of them now).

It was a royal bear taking apart the rear trim of the van because they used some weird 'hidden screw' method to assemble the trim panels, and it took a bit of work to get everything back into place again.

I bought a replacement throttle position sensor (TPS) and a new exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve because I'm tired of the van surging occasionally while it's going down the road. I talked to a few people with Chevy experience and they said that these are the 2 common items that cause this. I'll let you know how that goes.

I'm also very tired of the rumbling sound coming from the rear-end of the van, so I ordered a differential bearing overhaul kit, the bearing separator/puller tool and a pinion depth gauge in order to rebuild the rear end. I hope that takes care of it once and for all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home